The application period for this position is now closed.
The National Security Innovation Network (NSIN) is hiring an At-Large Regional Director! Applications due July 17, 2020.
About Your New Team
NSIN is a U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) organization with the mission to build networks of innovators that generate new solutions to national security problems. NSIN does this by building communities of non-traditional defense problem solvers from the academic and venture communities, exposing these communities to national security problems through direct interaction with DoD end users, and supporting the further development and transition of these solutions into the DOD. The principal way in which NSIN achieves its mission is through three mutually supporting portfolios of programs: National Service, Collaboration, and Acceleration. NSIN’s Regional Network Team will be physically located in more than 35 different locations throughout the United States and is responsible for building the new communities of problem-solvers through which NSIN executes its programs.
NSIN’s commitment to diversity and an inclusive work environment extends beyond our network to our team. We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
About Your New Role
The At-Large Regional Director principally oversees the development of Customers and Partners solve national security problems through NSIN programs and serves as the single NSIN point of contact for all Department of Defense Customers and private-sector Partners for Regions he/she is directed to support. He/she will be directed to support regions to which a permanent Regional Director is not assigned or from which a permanent Regional Director is on an extended leave of absence (e.g., Maternity Leave). The incumbent will be based in Arlington, VA, although the duties of the responsibilities of the At-Large Regional Director are national in nature. (60%)
The At-Large Regional Director serves as the principal NSIN point of contact for the Geographic and Functional Combatant Commands (GCCs and FCCs) based throughout the United States and the world for the purposes of identifying potential NISN program or pilot matches. This includes, but is not limited to, initial Customer engagement, identifying problems and pain points within the commands and their subordinate Service Component Commands, and identifying potential problem-solving partners from academia or the early-stage venture community within NSIN’s network to engage in problem-solving activity through NSIN programs or pilots. (30%)
The At-Large Regional Director represents NSIN at national symposia, conferences, or other strategic engagement opportunities as recommended by the Director of Communications and approved by the Director of Operations. (10%)
This position reports to and the work done by the incumbent will be at the direction of the NSIN Director of Operations.
To Crush this Role, You’ll Need to Bring:
- Experience working with dual-use technology and national security policy communities.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Broad knowledge of emerging national security needs and associated Science and Technology programs.
- Broad knowledge of academic research and commercial research and development relevant to emerging DOD capability needs.
- Recent experience in technology projects involving inter-agency, inter-departmental, and international partners.
- Strong interpersonal communications skills, including oral and written skills.
- Foresight, maturity, and the ability to negotiate amicable solutions with diverse teams.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a TOP SECRET security clearance.
- Travel requirements for this position are frequent. The incumbent may be required to travel up to 50% of the time and travel may, in rare circumstances, involve hostile and/or austere environments. Must be physically able and willing to travel into these environments, if required.
This position is a federal contractor position with GS-15 Level Compensation.