The application period for this position is now closed.
The National Security Innovation Network (NSIN) is seeking an experienced, passionate communications professional to develop, implement, and lead a national communications strategy that supports core NSIN programming, helps grow our network of non-traditional problem solvers, and elevates NSIN’s identity to help NSIN better achieve its mission.
About Your New Team
NSIN is a U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) organization with the mission to build networks of innovators that generate new solutions to national security problems. NSIN does this by building communities of non-traditional defense problem solvers from the academic and venture communities, exposing these communities to national security problems through direct interaction with DoD end users, and supporting the further development and transition of these solutions into the DOD. The principal way in which NSIN achieves its mission is through three mutually supporting portfolios of programs: National Service, Collaboration, and Acceleration. NSIN’s Regional Network Team will be physically located in more than 35 different locations throughout the United States and is responsible for building the new communities of problem-solvers through which NSIN executes its programs. For a better idea of who we are, check us out at www.nsin.us!
About Your New Role
The NSIN Communication Director is charged with developing and implementing a national communications strategy that supports core NSIN programming, helps the regional network team to expand NSIN’s footprint, and elevates NSIN’s brand and profile in the defense innovation space.
Additionally, the Comms Director will recruit and manage a three-person communications team that is responsible for managing all communications work including its website, social media, newsletters, press releases, and media requests.
NSIN’s mission and lines of effort require engagement with academia, the early stage venture, and defense communities. The communications director must be able to effectively communicate with all three of those communities and be able to craft the message around NSIN’s core mission and operations that will help to pull those groups into the network.
Travel will be required to support NSIN programming and personnel throughout the network. NSIN has a story to tell about the communities of problem solvers all across the country who are stepping up to help change the way the DoD solves problems, and we need your help to tell it!
To Crush this Role, You’ll Need to Bring
- a working knowledge of the venture, academic, and defense ecosystems
- prior experience working in two or more of the following communities: national security, academia, and/or the start-up world so that you can operate most effectively with NSIN’s three constituencies;
- at least five years of relevant communications experience, preferably related to two of the above listed communities;
- an eagerness to serve as a strategic thought partner of the Managing Director, shaping the voice and messaging for the organization based on his/her vision;
- an innate need for teamwork, and the desire to support and highlight the great work being done across the organization;
- a desire to take complete ownership of the development and implementation of a communications strategy;
- an unquenchable passion to change the way that DOD solves its problems. NSIN is engaged in hard work and there are long, tough days fighting a daunting bureaucracy;
- willingness and aptitude to operate successfully as part of a dispersed team. The Communications Director is based at NSIN HQ, but will be required to support NSIN personnel throughout the country.
This position is a federal contractor position with GS-14 level equivalent compensation.
How To Apply
Email your resume and cover letter to email Jobs@nsin.us with the subject line: Comms Director Position by 5:00PM (EDT) on Monday, June 8, 2020.