Responding to Customer Needs
Often, customers cannot fully evaluate the solutions coming out of NSIN programming when the solutions are low on the Technology Readiness Level (TRL) scale. A working prototype is needed for customers to decide whether to adopt and implement a proposed solution.
NSIN Maker provides required funding or the technical expertise necessary to construct prototypes. Maker prototypes must originate from previous NSIN programs (including Hackathons, X-Force Fellowship, etc.). The purpose of Maker is to increase the TRL of an already existing NSIN solution so that a Customer can decide on solution adoption. All Maker prototypes must be solutions that are too low on the TRL scale to be successfully evaluated by the customer for solution adoption.
NSIN Maker is best for solutions with a TRL between 1 and 3*:
- Technology Readiness Level 1: Basic principles observed and reported
- Technology Readiness Level 2: Technology concept and/or application formulated
- Technology Readiness Level 3: Analytical and experimental critical function and/or characteristic proof of concept
Innovation in Action
Maker is ideal for the NSIN customer who has already participated in a successful NSIN program and wants to prototype a solution for adoption. Specifically, NSIN Maker allows the rapid prototyping of solutions for customer evaluation.
NSIN has established formal relationships with the following maker spaces:
- Luminosity Labs of Arizona State University; Tempe, AZ.
- Building Momentum; Alexandria, Va.
As the NSIN footprint continues to expand, NSIN will add more Maker Spaces geographically and technically relevant to future Maker projects and solutions.