The Department of Defense is making significant investments in 5G, deploying infrastructure at bases across the country, and looking to support the growth of 5G enabled startups with technologies that can address various use cases.
This two-part event will feature a live pitch competition with 10 promising 5G-enabled startups competing for $200,000 in prizes and a series of keynote presentations outlining DOD’s strategy around 5G and current partnerships.
The National Security Innovation Network (NSIN), in partnership with NavalX SoCal Tech Bridge, is running a national search to identify 5G enabled technologies to participate in a Pitch Competition, known as Starts. The period for application submissions is 11 September to 06 October. From that pool of applicants, the top ten will participate in a virtual pitch event on 27 October, with $50,000 awarded to the top four companies on the pitch day. In addition to the prize, companies will have the opportunity to pilot with the Marine Corps at MCAS Miramar’s 5G living lab deployed in partnership with Verizon.
The DOD has identified 5G, and the many applications it enables, as one of it’s top technological priority areas. As a result, the military is investing hundreds of millions of dollars to acquire and develop capabilities. This event will feature Navy and DOD leadership to provide insights into the military’s strategy for 5G deployment and illuminate how Commercial/Defense collaborations will unlock future capabilities in areas such as Smart Cities, IoT, Connected Vehicles, among many other areas.
The National Security Innovation Network (NSIN), in partnership with NavalX SoCal Tech Bridge, is hosting a national search to identify 5G enabled technologies to participate in a pitch competition, known as Starts.
From a pool of applicants, the top ten submissions will participate in a virtual pitch event on 27 October, with $50,000 awarded to the top four companies. In addition to the prize, companies will gain exposure to Navy, DOD, and Venture Capital leaders in the area of 5G technologies and receive the opportunity to pilot their technology solutions with the Marine Corps at MCAS Miramar’s 5G living lab deployed in partnership with Verizon.
Benefits of Participating
- $50,000 prize awarded to the top four companies;
- Exposure to leaders across multiple branches of the DoD responsible for the development and deployment of 5G technologies;
- Exposure to VCs focused on 5G technologies;
- Opportunity to pitch to a panel of senior DoD and VC leaders;
- Invitation to pilot your technology in a real-world 5G environment on a military base; and,
- Exposure to DoD 5G initiatives to include 5G consortiums supporting OUSD
For more information, please view the Problem Statement.
- 11 SEPT 2020 - Application Period Begins
- 06 OCT 2020 - Application Period Ends
- 01 Oct 2020 - Downselection Period
- 02 OCT 2020 - Invitations to Top Ten
- 06 OCT 2020 - Invitation Acceptance Deadline
- 27 OCT 2020 - Pitch Day
- JAN – MAR 2021 - On-base demonstration & evaluation
Interested in pitching?
Questions About the Event
For more information, email Joey Clark, NSIN Starts Program Manager.