This opportunity is now closed.
About Your Team
NSIN is a U.S. DoD organization with the mission to build networks of innovators that generate new solutions to national security problems. NSIN does this by building communities of non-traditional defense problem solvers from the academic and venture communities, exposing these communities to national security problems through direct interaction with DoD end users, and supporting the further development and transition of these solutions into the DOD. The principal way in which NSIN achieves its mission is through three mutually supporting portfolios of programs: National Service, Collaboration, and Acceleration. NSIN’s Regional Network Team will be physically located in more than 35 different locations throughout the United States and is responsible for building the new communities of problem-solvers through which NSIN executes its programs.
NSIN’s commitment to diversity and an inclusive work environment extends beyond our network to our team. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, relation, parental status, or other non-merit factor.
About Your New Role
As the National Capital Regional Director, you will be the principal NSIN point of contact for all regional Department of Defense (DoD) contacts in the National Capital Region (Washington, DC; Virginia; Maryland; Pennsylvania; Delaware; & West Virginia). Through your role, you will oversee the development of a regional network of academic and early-stage venture partners with unique STEM, innovation, or entrepreneurial expertise that can solve local and national security problems. (50%)
As the Regional Director, you will become a key collaborator with these communities of interest for the purposes of identifying potential NSIN programming opportunities in support of current DoD needs. This includes, but is not limited to, sparking initial DoD engagement; understanding and identifying unit/command focus areas and pain points; and identifying potential problem-solving partners from academia and/or the early-stage venture community within NSIN’s network. You will directly engage these partners in problem-solving activities through NSIN programs and pilots. (25%)
As the National Capital Regional Director, you will also oversee and coordinate the University Program Directors (UPD) in your region, including the delivery of NSIN programs and activities at those universities by the UPD. This includes managing the regional strategic plan, coordinating execution of that plan with the UPDs, and managing resource allocation across the National Capital region (25%)
What We Are Looking for in a Teammate
- Proven business development and/or coalition-building experience;
- Familiarity with the Defense innovation ecosystem;
- Deep knowledge of the defense, venture, and/or academic community in the National Capital Region;
- Broad knowledge of emerging national security needs and associated science and technology programs;
- Broad knowledge of academic research and commercial research and development relevant to emerging DOD capability needs;
- The ability to balance competing priorities;
- Strong interpersonal communications skills, including oral and written skills;
- Foresight, maturity, and the ability to work with diverse and distributed teams;
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance;
- Travel requirements for this position are frequent. The incumbent may be required to travel within the region up to 40% of the time;
- Must be a US Citizen.
This position is a GS-15 with locality equivalent compensation (this is a government position).
How to Apply
This opportunity is now closed.
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: National Capital Regional Director by 5 PM (EDT) Monday, May 31, 2021.