Eccalon is hiring a full-time Media & External Relations Specialist to join our growing communications team for our customer at the National Security Innovation Network in Arlington, VA.
About Your New Team
NSIN is a U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) organization with the mission to build networks of innovators that generate new solutions to national security problems. NSIN does this by building communities of non-traditional defense problem solvers from the academic and venture communities, exposing these communities to national security problems through direct interaction with DoD end users, and supporting the further development and transition of these solutions into the DOD. The principal way in which NSIN achieves its mission is through three mutually supporting portfolios of programs: National Service, Collaboration, and Acceleration. NSIN’s Regional Network Team will be physically located in more than 35 different locations throughout the United States and is responsible for building the new communities of problem-solvers through which NSIN executes its programs.
NSIN’s commitment to diversity and an inclusive work environment extends beyond our network to our team. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, relation, parental status, or other non-merit factor.
About Your New Role
The Media & External Relations Specialist is responsible for identifying earned media opportunities, developing and pitching stories to reporters, cultivating new media and institutional relationships, and promoting a positive public awareness of the organization through external communications and public affairs techniques. In addition, the successful candidate will also support the growing, shaping, and maintaining of NSIN’s reputation with external stakeholders, think tanks, and governmental/legislative institutions.
In this role, you should be an excellent writer, storyteller, synthesizer of complex information, and a hacker of unnecessary jargon. Having an agile, opportunity-seeking approach will be an important part of your job to advance NSIN’s story and our mission-driven work. DoD, national security or Capitol Hill experience is a plus.
- Identify earned media opportunities to share our story
- Manage media relations – inbound inquiries and external pitching of stories to relevant publications
- Write and edit materials and communications copy (press releases, flyers, blog posts, tweets)
- Help implement communications projects and strategies
- Use software tools for content management and amplification, project management, mentions tracking, and others
- Collect media mentions data and maintain press contacts databases
- Track projects, media coverage and metrics
- Prepare presentations and reports
The NSIN Communications team is growing and you will be part of a highly collaborative team of six.
The Media & External Relations and Specialist reports to the Communications Director and will work closely with all members of the communications team and with colleagues across the organization.
What We’re Looking for in a Teammate
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience as a Public Affairs, Media Relations, External Affairs Specialist, or similar role
- Proven track record of story placements from your pitches
- Proficient in communication and digital media strategies
- Solid writing, editing and researching skills
- Proficient in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with media and developing and disseminating informational materials to pertinent audiences through the media
- Experience with identifying, pitching, and developing long term relationships with media and journalists specifically in the DoD and/or national security vertical
- Proficient at transmitting information by spoken word so that the intended audience comprehends the presentation
- Proficient in drawing appropriate conclusions from varied and complex data including identifying sources of information
- A sense of urgency while maintaining exceptional service attitude focusing on professionalism and responsibility
- An eagerness to serve as a strategic thought partner to the Communications Director, shaping the voice and messaging for the organization based on his/her vision
- An eagerness to collaborate with the Managing Director and Legislative Assistant on public affairs and congressional engagements
- Proficient in MS Office and Google Workspace/G Suite
- A willingness and aptitude to operate successfully as a part of a team that is distributed geographically
- An unquenchable passion to change the way that DOD solves its problems. NSIN is engaged in hard work and there are long, tough days fighting a daunting bureaucracy
- BSc/BA in Journalism, Communications or a related field is desired
U.S. Citizenship required.
The incumbent will be hired by Eccalon, the prime federal contractor for NSIN, and the position will be compensated at a level equivalent to a GS-12.
How to Apply
Email your resume, cover letter and up to three writing samples or media pitch plans with hyperlinks to the stories that ran as a result of your efforts, to email@example.com by 5pm EDT April 26, 2021.