NSIN is hiring a full-time Public Affairs Specialist to join our growing communications team in Arlington, VA. The NSIN Communications team is growing and you will be part of a highly collaborative team of five.
The Public Affairs Specialist reports to the Communications Director and will work closely with all members of the communications team and with colleagues across the organization.
About Your New Team
NSIN is a U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) organization with the mission to build networks of innovators that generate new solutions to national security problems. NSIN does this by building communities of non-traditional defense problem solvers from the academic and venture communities, exposing these communities to national security problems through direct interaction with DOD end users, and supporting the further development and transition of these solutions into the DOD. The principal way in which NSIN achieves its mission is through three mutually supporting portfolios of programs: National Service, Collaboration, and Acceleration. NSIN’s Regional Network Team will be physically located in more than 35 different locations throughout the United States and is responsible for building the new communities of problem-solvers through which NSIN executes its programs.
NSIN’s commitment to diversity and an inclusive work environment extends beyond our network to our team. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, or other non-merit factor.
About Your New Role
The Public Affairs Specialist is responsible for growing, shaping, and maintaining NSIN’s reputation with external stakeholders, think tanks, and governmental/legislative institutions. Identifying earned media opportunities, maintaining existing and cultivating new media and institutional relationships, and promoting positive public awareness of the organization through external communications are the primary focus of your job.
In this role, you will be a strong writer who is an excellent synthesizer of complex information. Writing with clarity and purpose for a variety of disparate audiences is the most important part of your job. If you have DOD, government, and/or Capitol Hill media relations experience, we’d like to meet you.
- Write and edit materials and communications copy for external audiences (press releases, blog posts, social media content)
- Manage relationships with media
- Pitch stories for placement in publications that report on NSIN’s missions and activities
- Help implement communications projects and strategies
- Prepare presentations and reports
- Develop, maintain and help implement the organization’s editorial calendar
What We are Looking for in a Teammate
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in Public Affairs
- Proven experience as a Public Affairs, Media Relations, External Affairs Specialist, or similar role
- Proficient in communication and digital media strategies
- Solid writing, editing and researching skills
- Proficient in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with media and developing and disseminating informational materials to pertinent audiences through the media
- Experience with identifying, pitching, and developing relationships with media and journalists
- Proficient at transmitting information by spoken word so that the intended audience comprehends the presentation
- Proficient in drawing appropriate conclusions from varied and complex data including identifying sources of information
- A sense of urgency while maintaining exceptional service attitude focusing on professionalism and responsibility
- An eagerness to serve as a strategic thought partner to the Communications Director, shaping the voice and messaging for the organization based on his/her vision
- An eagerness to collaborate with Senior Leaders within NSIN on public affairs and congressional engagements
- Strong attention to detail
- Proficient in MS Office and Google Workspace/G Suite
- A willingness and aptitude to operate successfully as a part of a team that is distributed geographically
- An unquenchable passion to change the way that DOD solves its problems. NSIN is engaged in hard work and there are long, tough days fighting a daunting bureaucracy
- Preference for experience in the DOD and/or national security vertical
- BSc/BA in Journalism, Communications or a related field is desired
The incumbent will be hired by NSIN’s prime federal contractor, and the position will be compensated at a level equivalent to a GS-12.
How To Apply
Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by 5 PM, (EST) on December 8, 2020.